Public Notice of Tax Sale
Pursuant to the Local Government Act, Section 645, the annual tax sale will be held as follows:
WHEN: Monday, September 26, 2022 at 10:00 am PST
WHERE: Council Chambers, City Hall, City of New Westminster
511 Royal Ave, New Westminster, BC
All bidders must pre-register between 8:35am to 9:55am at City Hall. No registrations will be permitted after 9:55am. There is a registration fee of $175 payable in cash or debit (non-refundable). Only registered bidder will be allowed into Council Chambers for the tax sale process. Friends or family of registered bidders are
Registered participants must be the age of majority, 19 or older, to register and will be required to show photo ID showing their legal name and their Social Insurance Number (SIN) when registering. Registered bidders must have in their possession certified funds of the upset price at the time of registration.
The following parcels will be offered for sale by public auction unless the delinquent taxes with interest are sooner paid.
- The lowest amount for which parcels may be sold is the “Upset Price”.
- The highest bidder at or above the upset price shall be declared the purchaser. The purchaser must pay by certified cheque or bank draft. Bidders will be given until 2pm on September 26, 2022 to secure funds for the balance of the bid price. Upset price to be paid at time of tax sale.
- If no bids are received, the City will be declared the purchaser.
- The purchaser has no legal rights to the property until one year has expired from the date of sale.
- The owner has one year in which to redeem the property by paying back the upset price plus interest accrued to the date of redemption.
- At redemption, the purchaser is refunded the bid price plus interest accrued from the date of the tax sale. Refunds will be processed within one month.
- The City of New Westminster makes no representation express or implied as to the condition or quality of the properties being offered for sale.
- Prospective purchasers are urged to make all necessary inquiries to the municipality and other government agencies to determine the existence of any bylaws, restrictions, charges or other conditions which may affect the value or suitability of the property. In the case of strata lots, questions can be directed to the strata corporation.
For general inquiries about the tax sale process, please contact the City of New Westminster - Revenue and Collections staff at 604-527-4550 or firstname.lastname@example.org.