New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services would like to remind everyone of the regulations surrounding the use of fireworks in accordance with the Fire Protection Bylaw 6940, 2004.
No person shall, at any time, offer for sale or sell low-hazard fireworks anywhere within the city. Low hazard fireworks may be possessed and set off within the city only in accordance with the following restrictions and requirements:
- Low hazard fireworks may only be possessed between 12:01 am on October 28 and ending at 12:01 am on November 1. These Fireworks may only be set off within this time period commencing at 4:00 pm on October 31 and ending at 12:01 am on November 1.
- No person under the age of 18 years may possess or set off low hazard fireworks.
- Low hazard fireworks may be set off only on private property with the consent of the owner, or on public property with written permission of the Fire Chief.
- No person shall use, set off, or discharge roman candles.
- No person shall point or direct a firework at any person, animal, building, or motor vehicle where the firework is in the process of exploding or detonating, and where it is capable of projecting or discharging a charge or pyrotechnical effect for a distance of more than three feet.
- No person may possess or set off high-hazard fireworks without first obtaining a valid permit from Fire and Rescue Services.
For more information, please contact New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services at 604-519-1000.