Mayors’ Food Bank Challenge
The Mayors’ Food Bank Challenge launches on Saturday, May 1st with five municipalities participating in a fundraising campaign to support the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. The challenge is a friendly competition between the City of New Westminster, City of Burnaby, City of North Vancouver, District of North Vancouver and the City of Vancouver to see who can raise the most food/dollars, per capita, during the month of May.
In 2018, of our less than 80,000 total residents, more than 11,800 were living below the poverty line. More than 15% of the children and 21% of seniors were living in poverty. Since COVID-19 began, as you can imagine, these numbers have grown. These statistics are staggering, however they are a reality that you and I can do something about.
You can take part and support New Westminster in a few ways:
- Go online to and make a donation. Tax receipts are issued automatically for all levels of donation.
- Issue a challenge to others in your industry to match or beat your donation.
- Offer a public matching donation, you will match all public donations to the page up to whatever dollar amount you are comfortable with.
- Drop off food donations to QP Arena, Century House, City Hall, the main branch Library or QB Community Centre. Please focus on healthy, low sodium, low sugar foods and ensure best before dates are no earlier than July 2021.
- Follow us on social media and share our posts about this campaign with #GVFBMayors
Any support you can give is appreciated.